Devil Came A’ Callin’

The devil came a’ callin’ at my door today.
He caught me, I admit, off guard, unsure of what to say.
He wasn’t hard to look at; handsome, some might think.
His voice was smooth as velvet. He smiled and gave a wink.

“Hey girl, how ya doing?” He had a wicked drawl
“Spare me just a minute?” The thought made my skin crawl.
“I want to show you something I’m sure will make your day;
A life of wealth and power is mine to give away.”

“And I want you to have it: Money, fame and more.
I’ll lay the whole world at your feet you will be adored.”
“I ask little in return; Your life, I’ll not control,
I’ll not ask you to suffer, and you can keep your soul.”

“You can still do good deeds as I lead from time to time,
And you can take the credit .. just sign on the dotted line.”
“No need to read the fine print the terms have never changed.
Just don’t bring glory to the Lord and NEVER speak His name.”

By this time, I’d had enough of all his evil lies
Something deep inside of me seemed to come alive.
I rose up with a power that was not my own
“Silence!” I commanded, “Just leave me alone!

Oh no, devil, not today, nor any other day,
Will I ever question the choice that I have made.”
“Get behind me Satan. I belong to Christ
My soul is not for sale to you, not for any price!”

He vanished just as quickly as he had appeared.
I marveled that I felt so calm with not a trace of fear.
Next time, I’ll be waiting and prepared for the attack.
‘Cause as sure as I’m a Christian, I know he’ll be back.

Copyright 2004 by Jennifer Welsh


No comments: