How I Spell Relief

Lord how can you stand me, so full of myself,
Whining and fussing, bemoaning my health?
Contentment was mine just the other day,
But my peace of mind has since passed away.

I was serene … I was satisfied
Recuperating happily with You by my side.
But now I can’t get no satisfaction.
I feel on the verge of criminal action.

Anger, frustration now seems the norm.
Why, I’ve even cursed the day I was born.
I need a heart-change; I need to grow up
Ugh! I need an antacid or I just may throw up.

Lord, how I hate this, my stomach’s in knots
I’m tired of sitting on this pity pot.
Please change my heart like you’ve done before
So many times … uh … are you keeping score?

No, no, of course not. That’s not how you work,
But could you work fast here? I’m going berserk.
OK … all right … be still and know…
Yeah … I can do that … I’ve nowhere to go.

Yes, You are on the throne; You are Lord of all.
As you were on the day of my fateful fall.
Each day of my life you have been in control.
Rejoice oh my heart … be still oh my soul.

Suddenly life seems not quite the chore
Self-pity gone … anger no more.
Oh Lord, You are good! I feel light somehow;
One thing’s for sure … I feel better now.

Is this all I need? … Surprisingly so
Just time to wait … to be still and know
That you are my God and you are my King;
You are the reason my heart wants to sing.

Lord, thanks for adjusting my poor attitude
And please forgive me for being so rude.
Thanks to you Lord, life no longer seems dismal
I’m drinking from The Well, not the Pepto Bismal.

Copyright ©1999 by Jennifer Welsh
1/4/99

"Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."
Psalm 46:10

No comments: