The Dream

I cradled you in my arms and sobbed
It was time to let you go…
So childlike had your face become
As I rocked you to and fro.

You were already on your way back home;
Jesus was calling your name.
Breathing your last, you looked so serene
As the Master laid his claim.

I laid you back down on your pillow
As you passed through Heaven’s door.
Such grief my heart could not contain
Knowing here I would see you no more.

I moaned and sobbed, and as I awoke
I felt the tears on my face;
It was only a dream... but only too real…
For you no longer dwell in this place.

Swept from this life and mine much too soon
I had hoped for many more years ...
More lunches, more shopping, more cooking lessons,
More of just knowing you’re near.

And rejoice, though I do, in the victory
Of knowing you’re now with the King,
Such pain on this earth I have never known
Such sorrow I feel from death’s sting.

Yet His voice so gently reminds me
This sorrow will soon pass away,
And He shall dry each tear that has fallen
Come that triumphant day.

The day when all of God’s children
Shall dwell with Him up above.
‘Til then, sweet Savior, please kiss mom for me
And give her all of my love.


Copyright 1998 by Jennifer Welsh

8/17/98

No comments: