Onward Painted Soldiers
or “Praise the Lord and Pass the Polish!”

For the first time in 42 years
Today, I painted my toes
And now, it seems, they’re not so bad
These digits I have long loathed.

When finished I took a silver ring,
Much like a little crown,
And adorned my index “piggy”
Now … I enjoy looking down.

My toes all stand at attention
Like ten little painted soldiers
Who would have ever guessed that this
Would make me feel so much bolder?!

Never, would I have imagined
My feet were a canvas of fun
Or that I’d be praising God for my toes
Yet, He created them … every one.

Now, I’ve never been one to esteem
The look or shape of my feet,
But I bet now if there was a contest
I’d be just the one to beat.

Copyright 2004 by Jennifer Welsh
July 12, 2004


I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
Psalm 139:14

No comments: