Resisting Temptation

Oh geez … I want some chocolate, Lord
Please help me banish the thought.
I finished lunch just an hour ago;
I shouldn’t be hungry … I’m not.

But I know that there are some truffles
Stashed away, way back in the cupboard.
How I wish that my pantry was empty right now
Like that of Old Mother Hubbard.

But it’s not, and they’re there, calling my name.
Can you hear it, Lord? Am I crazy?
Yeah, I know, just resist and he shall flee.
I know, Lord, but I’m feeling lazy.

So puhleeeeease give me strength, Almighty God
To resist this chocolate temptation.
“Get thee behind me Satan, you snake!
Cease your evil oration!”

To the Word, in the Word, shall I bury myself
And feast until satisfied,
And tomorrow I’ll not be wearing
The Psalms upon my thighs.

Calorie, fat and cholesterol free,
Yet, no sweeter morsel exists.
Soul satisfying, as no candy can
And Your Word, Lord, won’t go to my hips.

Yes … sweeter than honey to my mouth
O Lord, is the taste of your words.
Thank you, Father, praise you, Jesus
For my prayers I know you have heard.

And You have given me victory.
I resisted … Satan fled … this feels dandy.
Just one more thing Lord, uh … perhaps an oversight?
Do you realize he left the candy?

Copyright 1999 by Jennifer Welsh

October 2, 1999

No comments: